Sunday, November 28, 2010

Neffs Canyon

So the now has finally come and I can go sleding again at my favorite spot.  Neff's Canyon is located near the base of Mt. Olympus and it leads to the top of Millcreek canyon.  Every Winter (all seasons for hiking) that i can remember, my family and I have gone up this canyon at least once a week to go sledding.  Sometimes we hike up this canyon for a couple hours before we start to sled down or just short 20-30 minute hikes.  The canyon is not too steep, but never flat enough that you will slow down.  You are able to go as fast as you dare when you go down the trail after hiking as far as you like, the only problem is avoiding the hikers coming up the canyon.  If you want to avoid the people, you will have to hike up a little more.  After about 20 minutes of hiking, most people turn around at a forking area.  If you just want to go a little further, head right.  Going right will take you about 5-10 more minutes before the sleding trail ends.  If youwant to go have a nice long walk full of solitude, go left and you can hike for hours until you reach millcreek.  I have never hiked all the way to millcreek, but I have gone really far up this trail.  This trail is where the best sleding in the world can be done.  Its just you and a narrow trail with mounds of snow off to either side that keep you going quickly down on your sled.  I just went down the canyon earlier today and it is just as good as it always has been.  I have made it a goal to reach the end of Neff's Canyon sometime this winter and sled down for about an hour straight when I am done.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip! I've been looking at some pictures of Neffs and it looks like a pretty spectacular place. I should probably bust out my sled and check it out. Gotta love the fact that these places are so close.

    ReplyDelete